Thursday 16 May 2013

Director Brad Bird is far luckier then Andrew Stanton. Stanton's jump from animation to live action wasn't quite as successful as he may have hoped after John Carter goes down alongside Cleopatra and Waterworld as a hopeless fail. But Bird's transition from the animated world to the real life was far more successful with the massively popular Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. So when the seventh Star Wars film was announced Bird's name was one of the first names to pop up on fans lists. And it has been revealed early rumors were true after Bird admitted that he was approached to direct one of the biggest films of the decade. "I’ve known Kathy [Kennedy] for a while and I know George. And they did come to me. But the problem was, the schedule they had in mind made it impossible to do…unless I dropped Tomorrowland.…We had reached a critical mass where it would’ve thrown the furniture around from the train stopping. I really want to see this movie. I love the Star Wars films, and I can’t wait to see what J.J. does, but it meant I’d have to shut down one dream to participate in another. I feel like [with Tomorrowland] we’re making something that’s really special and unique." 

Bird also revealed that he is tempted to return to Pixar, hoping to make a sequel to superhero film The Incredibles, stating that: "I have been thinking about it. People think that I have not been, but I have. Because I love those characters and love that world. I am stroking my chin and scratching my head. I have many, many elements that I think would work really well in another [Incredibles] film."  A sequel to The Incredibles would be pretty inviting, especially in a time obsessed with superheroes. As long as the new installment outshines Pixars' Cars 2, their first sequel, which was met with less critical acclaim then Pixar are used to. Before we can see The Incredibles 2, Bird needs to finish Tomorrowland, a science fiction film starring George Clooney and Hugh Laurie, scripted by Damon Lindelof.

No comments:

Post a Comment